Resilience – Responsibility – Rights – Relationships
Message from the Australia ICOMOS President
On behalf of Australia ICOMOS, I am delighted to invite delegates from around the world to Sydney for the 21st Triennial General Assembly of ICOMOS from 31 August – 9 September 2023.
Together we can learn from each other and promote excellent cultural heritage practices.
Sydney is a destination that offers unrivalled natural and cultural beauty with world-class facilities, including the stunning new International Convention Centre, all in the inspirational setting of Sydney Harbour.
The core General Assembly will occur between 4 and 8 September 2023 within an exciting ten day program of site visits, workshops, lectures, expert meetings and social gatherings. Venues will include the World Heritage listed Sydney Opera House, Cockatoo Island, Hyde Park Barracks and Greater Blue Mountains amongst a wide variety of other Aboriginal and colonial cultural places. We will meet amidst Sydney’s vibrant Indigenous and multicultural communities.
The theme of the four-day Scientific Symposium: ‘Heritage Changes: Resilience – Responsibility – Rights – Relationships’, reflects the tumultuous changes taking place in the world, but also a positive message about the role of our heritage in supporting rapid recovery and inclusive approaches.
Australia ICOMOS has one of the largest and most active ICOMOS national committees, and with strong support from the Australian and NSW State Governments and the City of Sydney, we are thrilled to bring an ICOMOS General Assembly to the Pacific region for the first time.
Please join us at the General Assembly – not only to visit Sydney, but to make this event the cornerstone of a visit to the unique cultural and natural heritage of Australia!
Professor Tracy Ireland
President, Australia ICOMOS
Sustainability: Towards a sustainable GA2023:
We aim to make GA2023 a carbon neutral and sustainable event. Our Sustainability Guide for GA2023 will help make the event environmentally and socially sustainable. Our Aboriginal Procurement Policy will create opportunities for Aboriginal owned businesses and employment. We encourage all sponsors, exhibitors, providers and delegates to read and use these policies.
Please be mindful of our planet and join us in our efforts to neutralise the GA2023 carbon footprint. We encourage all attendees to purchase airline carbon offsets and use public transport. GA2023 will minimise paper consumption and waste through use of technology and encourage attendees to bring their own reusable cups for water which will be complimentary and readily available.
For more on sustainability at the GA click here
ICOMOS GA2023 Fast Facts:
- Dates: 31 August – 9 September 2023
- Venue: International Convention Centre (ICC Sydney) right in the heart of Sydney
- Audience: Expected up to 1,500 professionals from across the globe representing heritage, archaeology, historians, urban planning, architects and academia just to name a few, providing unrivalled access to high-calibre specialist knowledge and delivering a boost to‘grass roots’ interest in cultural heritage and conservation work throughout Australia and globally.
- Theme: ‘Heritage Changes’ with sub-themes: Resilience – Responsibility -Rights – Relationships.
- Legacy: GA2023 will leave a lasting positive legacy for the recognition, protection and management of cultural and natural heritage and for communities that value and care for it in Australia and globally.
General Assembly Commences in...